The Southern Peninsula Community Support Fresh Food Program is sponsored by Community Bank Southern Peninsula (Bendigo Bank) and operates in two streams:
- Stream 1, is a walk up program on a Monday at our main centre, you do not need to register or identify yourself. It is a collaboration between SPCS and the SecondBite food recovery agency to provide fresh food recovered from Coles supermarkets or other large commercial operators.
- Community Members having difficulty accessing fresh fruit and vegetables can attend the program at 878 Point Nepean Road Rosebud at 11.30 am. We also collect and have available bread and depending on what comes from the food recovery program a variety of snacks, drinks and other items.
- NOTE: While people start queuing from 11 the food is prepacked into bags so everyone receives the same amount of fresh food, this also works for Covid safety purposes. The program runs in a respectful and courteous manner with reference to all those attending.
- Stream 2, outside of Stream 1 fresh food is available from Monday to Friday, we use the food recovered by Oz Harvest from Woolworths and some local supermarkets.
- Food recovery can fluctuate in volume, quality and variety so it is supplemented with fresh food donations from the public, local growers or charity food grower Food for Change. When supply is really low and provided we have enough cash donations we will purchase fresh food for Stream 2 to ensure everyone gets a decent bag of food. Stream 2 offers a wider range including pantry bags of non perishable staples as well as frozen meals from Fare Share. To access this you need to go through a simple registration and interview in our main centre.
At all times we are focused on food equity, where all clients get access to the same quality and amounts. We have a dedicated team of volunteers who sort the bulk donations from the food recovery agencies into bags of equal size and quality, having done that they supplement with other food donations.
Recently, The Project did a story on Matt Donovan and Food for Change, they are one of our partners and in the story they featured our Fresh Food program. Check it out to get an idea of the work and care that goes into making it happen